SEO Interview Questions and Answers for Freshers and Experienced (2023 Updated)
SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) is one of the trending terms for the last two decade with the internet being part of the industry that further adds to ‘What’ we prefer Digital Marketing in broader terms. In these modern times, the SEO profession has grown multiple times which has attracted youths from all over the world for learning this new comprehensive technology. Today we are going to present you with the best SEO interview questions and answers for passing your interview with MNC/Corporate sector for getting a high salary.
- Basic SEO Interview Questions [20 Questions]
- Google Search Console Questions and Answers/Webmaster (Google)[10 Questions]
- Google Analytics Interview Questions[10 Questions]
- SEO Q & A for 3 Years Experience [10 Questions]
Top 100 SEO Questions and Answers to mark your preparation for interviews all along!
- Q1. What is SEO?
- A1. Search Engine Optimization or in short SEO is collective given to the techniques that are applied on websites to improve its ranking on Search Engines respectively.
- Q2. How to start SEO of a new website? Explain in brief!
- A2. Before starting SEO website must be complete without any dummy content, then start on-page optimization with keyword implementation and moving on to SMO as well as Offpage accordingly.
- Q3. How to submit your website to Search Engines(Google)?
- A3. Once the website is finished with on-page optimization then one can go to Google Search Console, verify the site and then submit the sitemap for quick indexing on Search engine respectively.
- Q4. What are the most common SEO tools that are required to monitor and track the SEO of websites?
- A4. Google Search Console and Google Analytics are the most commonly used for regularly checking websites. But there are many other quite popular tools Google PageSpeed Insights, Moz, SEMrush etc.
- Q5. What are the SEO keywords? Explain their importance in General!
- A5. These are the main specific keywords for every site on which they generate traffic. Keywords are the prime fundamentals of SEO on which the whole on-page and off-page techniques are applied for increasing traffic.
- Q6. What are on-page customization’s?
- A6. For each website, these are the primary rules for getting better ranks in major search engines collectively termed as On-Page Customization.
- Meta Title and Description, Image alt tags, Heading tags, Quality Content, internal linking
- Q7. What are meta tags in SEO?
- A7. These are specific SEO tags which are the thumb rules for better ranking on Search engines. They have the right information about pages that are ready the Search engines crawler for getting SERP in the results effectively.
- Q8. What are off-page activities in SEO?
- A8. All the activities that are done on websites other than the main websites are termed as off-page activities
- Q9. Name a few major search engines in the world!
- A9. Google, Bing, Yahoo, Alta Vista, Yandex, Duckduckgo, Baidu
- Q10. What do website indexing and crawling mean?
- A10. Indexing is defined as the entry of all pages of websites in the Search engine results. Once you submit your website to Search Engine (Google), then it will fetch the page, read the page and then adds to their index for SERP accordingly.
- Crawling is the way of adding new pages to be indexed in the Search Engine, they do so via bots that are running 24×7 searching for new information on the sites and adding to your site index respectively. (Googlebot, Bingbot etc)
- Q11. How to generate traffic to your website?
- A11. There are many ways to gain traffic for your websites from Search Engines, Social Media sites,
affiliate sites, paid traffic etc
- Q12. Explain the terms Organic and Inorganic SEO in short!
- A12. In terms of gaining traffic, SEO is divided into another two types i.e. Organic and Non-organic SEO. If the traffic comes from natural right keywords with the implementation of white hat techniques for longer duration is termed as Organic SEO while Inorganic SEO is the way of gaining traffic through all other means i.e. PPC, paid campaigns, affiliate marketing etc.
- Q13. What are White Hat and Black Hat SEO Techniques?
- A13. On the basis of following rules, SEO is classified into two major types White Hat and Black Hat.
If you are using all the standard procedures as given by the Search engines then the techniques are White Hat while if you are manipulating techniques to rank higher on Search engines than it is termed as Blackhat respectively.
- Q14. What are Google penalties?
- A14. If you use black hat techniques to gain traffic for your websites or Google sees irregularities with phishing or malware related incident it will penalize site dropping your site traffic to banning the site from the index completely. Although a user can write their query to Google via Search console for help respectively.
- Q15. How Does Website rank on Google (or any other Search Engines)?
- A15. Websites are ranked on the basis of keywords, Site authority, Quality of content(niche-based), on-page optimization, Inbound and outbound backlinks, internal linking etc. Sites with blogs with regular content updated have proven a lot of success for ranking higher in Search Engine results.
- Q16. What is Google AdWords? Will it affect organic Searches from Google?
- A16. Google Adwords is the paid way of generating traffic to websites based on the Search and display campaigns build on the target landing page and keyword respectively. It doesn’t affect the organic Search from Google and you can configure the Analytics with both of them to check theirs separately.
- Q17. What are Bookmarking and link promotion sites? Name a few of them!
- A17. Bookmarking sites are general purpose SEO promotional sites where one can promote their website links with keywords respectively for organic SEO. Folkd, Plurk, Scoopit etc
- Q18. What are backlinks and how they are connected with SEO?
- A18. Backlinks are the outbound links for your website pages which are made for SEO purpose only. These must be done on websites which have better PA and DA then your websites to have a major effect on your website SEO.
- Q19. What is the importance of Quality Content in terms of SEO?
- A19. With the same topic content written on the basis of similar keywords around Google takes in precedence the quality content to rank higher site in their Search Engine results page (SERP).
- Q20. What are Google SEO Algorithms and their updates name!
- A20. With new changes in technology and techniques, Google updates its Searching algorithm regularly. Although there are few official announcements with major changes in traffic signals the expert to predict the changes accordingly. Some of the major Google Algorithms are narrowed down in their chronological order.
- Q. What is Google Webmaster(Search Console) Tools? What is their use in SEO?
- A. Search Console is the main Webmaster tools for website indexing, track URLs, check for errors and optimize websites for better visibility on Search engine.
- Search Console formerly ‘Webmaster‘ is taken as the primary tool for website performance tracking on Search engines respectively.
- Q. How to submit new website/pages to Google?
- A. Once the website is complete with on-page modifications then you must submit and verify your website ownership in Search console. Add your sitemap and it will soon start indexing stats on your Search console account.
For adding new pages on the Google Search engine you must submit at the following Google Submit URL(https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/submit-url) and add URL then check the human verification followed by submitting. Googlebot will soon visit your page for indexing the page at earliest.
- Q. How to Remove old pages from Google Index?
- A. Yes by submitting your old pages at following Google Remove URL (https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/removals), from which pages can be removed from Google index.
- Q. Can we prevent websites to crawl in Google until they are finished?
- A. Yes, we must prevent websites to crawl until they are finished. Following methods can be used for stopping Google from indexing your site.
- Robots.txt: Just add the following code and Google will not index your site.
User-agent: * Disallow: /
- Noindex Meta Tag: Add this tag to give instructions for Search engines to not crawl your site at all.
- Q. How to updates Website information to Google?
- A. Blogs which are regularly updated their webmaster must submit these new pages to Search engines and update sitemap to let Google know about their updates on website information
- Q. What are Web Crawlers and how do they work?
- A. Web Crawlers are the Search engine way of collecting information from websites. These are the scripts which get the information from pages about various meta tags and upgrade from websites comprehensively for ranking them on Search Engines.
- Q. What are Backlinks? Explain their importance!
- A. These are the main off-page activity result that forms the prime fundamentals as a ranking factor for getting higher results in Search engine ranking. Continuous long-term strong backlinks will give you better results all around.
- Q. What are inbound and outbound links?
- A. Inbound Links are all the links that are coming to your website while outbound links start from your site to another site. High-quality inbound links (backlinks) are one of the main ranking factors for better Search engine ranking.
- Q. How to remove bad links from Google?
- A. With Google, you can disavow bad links from your sites considerably that are placing a negative impact on your website. Get more official Google Disavow information and guidance here.
- Q. How you will differentiate between nofollow vs dofollow links?
- A. Dofollow Links are the positive links for your website from another website that are prime factors in ranking higher while No-follow Links are the ones that are not counted in Search engine ranking factors.
- Q. What are various Webmaster Tools offered by Search Engines (Google) for Websites?
- A. Following are tools offered by Search engines for checking and tracking their performance on Search results.
- 1. Testing Tools like Structure Data markup, Email Markup tester, and Structure Data Testing tool
- 2. Google Business Listings, Page-speed Insights
- 3. Move Websites to New domain with ease of clicks and confirmation
- 4. Ad Experience Report (For Desktop and Mobile)
- 5. Connect Search Console with Analytics, Adwords and E-Commerce for Comprehensive experience as well as performance tracking for all aspects.
- Q. Who must use Search Console?
- A. SEO Executives, Business website owners, Site Administrators, Web Developers
- Q. What are Crawling/Indexing Errors?
- A. Search Console will separate out the errors for webmasters to get them rectified as per their issue. There are mainly two types of errors with Site errors and URL errors
- Site Errors: DNS errors (DNS Timeout, DNS Lookup), Server Errors (Truncated Errors, Connection reset, Truncated response, Connection Refused, Connect failed, Connect timeout, No response), Robots Failure
- URL Errors: Common URL Errors (Server Error, Soft 404, 404, Access Denied, Not Followed, DNS Error), Mobile-Only URL Errors(Faulty redirects, URLS blocked for smartphones, Flash content)
- Q. How to fix the indexing errors?
- A. Depending on the type and issue you must convey the right information to the web developer for making the adjustments.
- Q. Can Search Console properties be shared with other users?
- A. Once you have become a verified owner of the respective property than you can assign multiple user access with Full user and restricted user properties.
- Q1. What is Google Analytics in SEO? Explain the all features in brief!
- A1. It is one of the most comprehensive tracking tools for traffic and performance offered from Google without any cost till you have 5 million impressions per month from Google.
- Real-Time Traffic Analysis: Current User Traffic based on keywords, location and landing page
- Audience Analysis: Audience analysis with demographics, technology, mobile, interests, user flow, language, location and more
- Acquisition: Traffic Analysis from Google Ads, Social Campaigns, Search Console (Organic Traffic) and paid traffic complete information
- Behaviour Checkup: Site Content, Speed, Search, Events, Publisher Revenue (Google Adsense)
- Conversions Tracking: Analytics Goals Setup, E-Commerce Tracking, Multi-Channel Funnels & Attribution
- Q2. Where to place Google Analytics code in the website?
- A2. Google officially recommends that Header is the right place for placing analytics code but there has been a lot of debate for Google Analytics header or Footer(Click here to read more). But it is highly recommended to place the code on the header file to get the right result.
- Q3. How to check Google analytics is working or not
- A3. Once the tracking code is placed within minutes the tracking can be seen in the Real-time Overview Section of the Google Analytics property showing the latest user’s coming to the site with a keyword, traffic sources, and location.
- Q4. How to add a new user in Google Analytics?
- A4. Google allows multi-user level permission in Analytics which can be done with respective levels. For more info go to User Management in Google Analytics
- Q5. Can we connect Google analytics to search console, AdWords, Adsense, Youtube etc?
- A5. Yes, there is configuration available from which you can connect all of these and track their performance in comparison to each other for better tracking.
- Q7. How to get organic keywords in Google analytics?
- A. As websites get crawled and indexed in Search engines the whole queries are saved inside Google Analytics. These give you an idea for impressions, clicks, and performance of landing pages. These are collected in the Queries column of the Search Console which is available in ACQUISITION tab of the Google Analytics.
- Q6. How to track landing pages in Google Analytics?
- A6. Once the website analytics start getting impressions then their landing pages performance starts recording in the Analytics Stats. For this, You need to connect Search Console with Google Analytics. When Combined under the ACQUISITION and then Search Console you will see the position of landing pages based on the impressions.
- Q8. How to filter spam in Google Analytics?
- A8. Generally, on every website, you will analyse spams are there that can alter your analytics data which must then be filtered. When precisely filtered these spam are removed simultaneously from the overall site data.
- Q9. Is there a provision for integrating E-commerce tracking and performance with Google Analytics?
- A9. Yes, Google offers comprehensive solutions for E-commerce websites in terms of tracking and performance in Analytics.
- Q10. Is Google Analytics free of charge?
- A.10 Yes Google Analytics is completely free of charge until 5 million impressions per month and after that, you can opt for premium version for enterprises which is a whole new product with extra features costing around $150,000.
- Q1. How to check my website is SEO friendly?
- A1. There are many testing sites on which you can perform On-page analysis, mobile-friendly test and links check which give the results as per performance.
- Q2. How to check my website ranking on Google?
- A2. There are many ways of checking the rankings with respect to keywords. Login to Search console panel, Click on the verified website, then on the left side Search Traffic column click on the Search Analytics which will give a comprehensive view based on top Queries, Landing page, countries, and device.
- Q3. My website is complete and still, I am getting nothing in the Search engine results?
- A3. Check whether the website indexed on not by searching site:example.com where example.com is the site name respectively if there are zero results then there might be chances that some code in the site is stopping the indexing process. Check for Noindex tag, robots.txt for making necessary changes.
It usually takes a few days to start static site to get indexing in the Search engines whereas dynamic websites some time take more time to get indexed properly in the Search Engines.
- Q4. What is Google Sandbox?
- A4. Google Sandbox is taken as a filtered place where the Search engines places websites to avoid them ranking direct on high traffic keywords this may be due to many reasons. Similar Content, Multiple URLs from same websites etc.
- Q5. Does Google help local businesses more in terms of SEO? Explain.
- A. Yes With local listing available in the Google Search sites, places with nearby location are given preference from other similar types of results.
Also for small businesses, you can opt for direct paid traffic via PPC in Google Adwords (Google Ads new) and this can fetch early leads for getting your business start right away.
- Q6. How will you define the SEO role in digital marketing?
- A6. SEO is limited to websites only whereas in digital marketing is broad taking a perspective of promotion on the physical world with TV, radio, banners, flyers that come for the whole branding of the Websites including SEO.
- Q7. Differentiate between SEO, SMO, SEM & SMM in relation to their usage!
- A7. SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization includes Free & Organic both
SMO stands for Social Media Optimisation on sites like Facebook, Twitter & LinkedIn
SEM means Search Engine Marketing includes Paid traffic
SMM stands for Social Media Marketing includes paid traffic
- Q8. What are Best SEO tricks for Google 2023?
- A8. Here are some of the Best SEO tricks that have come up in Google 2023
AMP: Accelerated Mobile Pages to get quick mobile views with the latest technology
Schema: For better branding of your online platform
Local Searches Optimization with near me keywords, local reviews and ranking
- Q9. Why SEO is important for Online businesses or small/large business?
- A9. With millions of traffic online websites, SEO can uplift business to reach new heights with effective long-term White Hat SEO techniques.
- Brand Promotion of their business online
- Getting the early business leads for your products and Services
- Finding an online reputation to bring the right traffic for your services or products.
- Q10. What are the best SEO tools for small business?
- A10. For Sitemap: smallseotools
For On page: GTmetrix
For Mobile-Friendly test: Google Mobile-Friendly Test
For Broken links: smallseotools
For Backlinks Checker: MOZ OSE, SEMRUSH, SEO Profiler, smallseotools
- Q11. How to Check for unsafe Browsing Site Status?
- A11. Usually unsafe sites are marked dangerous and potentially unsafe. There is also standard recommended URL Check from Google where you can check and see whether the site is safe or not.
Safe Browsing site status From Google
Also find out more Interview and Questions for getting regular information now!
- HTML5 interview Questions and Answers 2023
- CSS3 interview questions and answers 2023
- Bootstrap 3 Interview Questions and Answers 2023
- PHP interview question and answers 2023
- Responsive Web Design Interview Questions And Answers 2023
- WordPress Interview questions and answers 2023
- Web Developer Interview Questions & Answers 2023
- MySQL Interview Question and Answers 2023
- Web Designer Interview Question & Answers 2023
- SEO Interview Questions and Answers 2023